Thursday, December 23, 2004

Goodbye

“Your friend is your needs answered. He is your field which you sow with love and reap with thanksgiving. And he is your board and your fireside. For you come to him with your hunger, and you seek him for peace." --Kahlil Gibran, The Prophet

Two very dear friends moved away this week. One on Monday the other on Wednesday. I suck at goodbyes. Especially important ones. I just concentrate on trying not to be too emotional and I turn into a John robot. What do you say to someone who is very important to you? If I try to sum up a relationship in one sentence I feel like I am cheating. Somehow demeaning what exists by putting it into too few words. In order to correctly sum up the friendship I would have to give a speech. So I just end up saying something like “I love you and goodbye”. I hate goodbyes. I keep telling myself that the only thing in our friendship that has changed is proximity. That helps. But still, it sucks when people you care about are 600 miles away. I miss you two already!

1 Comments:

Blogger erika said...

i totally understand. there's no way, as i see it. . . to possibly sum up the right amount of love, appreciation, sorrow, regret, etc. . that goes along with a goodbye. - especially verbally. i guess the only thing you can do, is show how much you care for them while you have them with you. . . of course, then write, call, somehow contact them while you are apart, perhaps even pressure them into creating their own blog. :)

one is trevor right? i wasn't sure when he was leaving. . . . is the other someone i know?

btw. . . happy holidays. . . or as happy as they can be

12:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home