Wednesday, January 11, 2006

My Sitcom Life . . .

. . . isn't as funny as one might expect. Moving was, seriously, one of the worst days of my life. We got to Abingdon and there had been a screw up with the U-haul office and for some reason they sent me to a garage 8 miles outside of Abingdon. This place was some mom and pop body shop. When I got there the guy was just firing up his computer, once he was on the U-haul website (using dial-up 'natch) he asked me what a heartbeat was. At first I thought there might be some sort of metaphysical/philosophical questionnaire to pass in order to get the U-haul. Apparently this guy had *never* used a computer before. At one point he almost charged me $20,000 for the stupid truck. Long story short an hour later we left without the truck. A quick call to the U-haul office solved the problem and we shortly had a truck. Thus far in the day the family had gotten along remarkably well. Unfortunately that streak ended as we parked the U-haul in front of my house. All hell broke loose, a family fight that began with my mother storming out to the car and ended with me having a MAJOR breakdown in the bathroom. Then after moving everything into the truck we had to drive the 6 hours north. The english language doesn't have words for how awful the day was. True to family form once the fight was over we acted like nothing happened. Then, of course, came the unloading of the truck which provoked another major breakdown from me. It was all delightfully reminiscent of high school. Good times, good times. Living at home is probably the worst idea I have ever devised in my simple little mind. After 19 days . . . remember a few years ago when the Crown Prince of Nepal shot all his family members? Well that little spree doesn't seem so off the wall sometimes. After two months of this 2006 maybe the year of the crazy . . .

3 Comments:

Blogger erika said...

johnny!. . . . trevor it visiting with hedwig. . . i've never called you johnny before. . . heehee, i'm ripped. sorry your life sucks so much. hope it gets better soon. . . for reals.

1:03 AM  
Blogger Brian said...

Tell me about it...But when the going gets touch...just think of bad Barter things...It always makes me feel better ;-)

8:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

John,
Try moving into your dead mother's house and throwing away all the crap that your dad had not had the fortitude to get rid of. 30 count 'em 30 YEARS of National Geographic Magazines. Anything you want me to look up? It's been rough and emotional. The man won't let me take anything to Goodwill, so there's some furniture on the porch, just waiting for someone to do something with it. I think the in-bred brothers up the cove are tuning their banjo's.

Oh, and how about my brother deciding that since I put a lock on the door I didn't want him visiting me. I just don't want to wake up in bed with a stranger looking over me.(the back door has not been locked since we moved in in 1969) I hear ya when you're talking about family.
Call if you need a shoulder.

Connie

1:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home