Thursday, December 23, 2004

Fat and Anderson Cooper (in that order)

I am so tired of Atkins bashing. I read on CNN's website how some research group has decided that the low carb craze is over. There is so much wrong with that idea I don't know where to begin. For the people who are truly committed to a low-carb lifestlye it was never a craze. It was simly a great option. The only people it was a craze for are people who aren't truly committed to it. Losing weight, if it is a significant amount you need to lose, is as much timing as diet. You have to be ready to lose weight. There is no magic wand. You have to decide to do it. You have to keep the fire burning in your soul. Every day you have to work at it. You have to fight the demons. For me, at least, it is very much an addiction. It is about power. I simly decided I wanted the power. I will no longer let food have it. (if you haven't read Seat Of The Soul by Gary Zukav go get it right f*cking now). For people truly committed to low-carb diets they will always be on them. It is a life choice not a craze for us.

It just seems like everyone wants to take away any hope we fat people may have. Any ray of sunshine we may have. There is always a rush to condemn the latest weight loss method. Look at how people treat Richard Simmons. OK, OK the man is a clown but he helps people. How many success stories does he have? Hundreds? Thousands? That is what should matter. Why doesn't CNN do a story about people who have had incredible success on Atkins? or South Beach? Why don't they do a story about how fat kids get picked on every single day at school? The answer is the same reason there are no fat anchors on CNN. It just sucks because I know there are kids out there that could benefit from seeing CNN do a positive piece about weight loss. And yes I am sure they have but I haven't seen it on the top page of their website. They bury it at the bottom of the website or broadcast it at 4am.

Speaking of CNN . . . who is Anderson Cooper kidding? Really? Does he think we don't know?

"In any marginalized community, whether people identify themselves or not affects us all." -- Ani Difranco

1 Comments:

Blogger compostmoi said...

John - I love what you write and, mainly,m WHY you write it...it comes from a place in you that as the superb stage manager you are, you really cannot show to us on the job, and so when i read your blog, I learn more about you, and that is, after all, it seems to me, why we read anything at all..to learn more about people. So, this particular posting was terrific, as was the one about Trev and Carrie...I will really miss you , John, when Peter and i go home. You are (as my mom used to say, " a oner"! (I think it means unique).

11:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home